Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spearing: My Next Target

Jay Spearing has revealed how he aspires to start scoring goals for Liverpool after signing a contract extension with the club.

After a few close calls in recent weeks, including the last moments of Monday night's game against Fulham, the 22-year old midfielder spoke of his desire to start hitting the back of the net.

He told LFC Weekly: "I think any midfielder wants to start scoring goals and add that to their game and I'm looking to get forward as much as possible to break my duck but it's more about the team performance. As long as somebody else is scoring and we're winning then it doesn't matter.

"At the moment my role is more about the team shape and making sure we're solid at that back. But if the time comes when I can get a goal, I'll take it with both hands!"

Spearing also hailed Jamie Carragher after the defender went second in the club's all time appearance list Monday night.

The 33-year-old clocked up his 666th run out, taking him beyond Emlyn Hughes and Ray Clemence.

"It shows the career that he's had at the club and what he's meant to the club as well," said Spearing. "I'm sure a lot of people will be fighting to do something similar in future years.

"If I could get half that number of games for Liverpool, it would do me very nicely!"

No comments: