Monday, May 30, 2011

Masch Dedicates Win To Reds

Javier Mascherano has dedicated his UEFA Champions League triumph over Manchester United to Liverpool fans.

The Barcelona player, who spent two and a half seasons with Liverpool, won his first European Cup medal as the Catalan club defeated United 3-1 on Saturday.

Mascherano, a finalist with Liverpool in 2007, left the Reds for Barcelona in August last year and he hopes the Anfield faithful appreciate the defeat of United.

"I know some Liverpool supporters were disappointed after my exit, they were a little bit sad with me, but this is for them," he told Sky Sports HD1.

The Argentine was delighted Pep Guardiola's side were able to display the attractive possession football they are famed for in a game they controlled for large periods.

"We're happy because we were able to play the way we're known to play," added Mascherano.

"It's really good for us to win the Champions League. For any footballer it's the top title. We had a lot of chances to score and in the second-half we took them."

Guardiola sprung a surprise by dropping club captain Carlos Puyol to the bench, thought to be through injury, with Mascherano deployed as a makeshift centre-half in his place.

The 26-year-old, normally a midfielder, had no qualms about filling in the role and is happy to have contributed to the Wembley win.

"Maybe it was a strange position for me. It's a position that's not my natural one but I tried to give my best for the team and I'm happy because reached our target."

No comments: