Monday, May 02, 2011

Hyypia Calls Time On Career

Bayer Leverkusen defender Sami Hyypia has confirmed he will retire from playing at the end of the Bundesliga season.

The ex-Liverpool man won a wealth of trophies during his time at Anfield and will take up a coaching role with Leverkusen next term.

Hyypia, who joined the Reds from Willem II, helped the Merseysiders win the UEFA Champions League, Uefa Cup, two FA Cups, two League Cups and two European Super Cups during his time at Anfield.

The 37-year-old was mulling over his career throughout the season and says he has no desire to continue playing, whether it be for Leverkusen or anyone else.

"The decision to retire gradually grew during the season," he told Finnish TV station MTV3.

"I had no interest any more to go elsewhere to play. There are no regrets.

"Thanks to all those who have helped during the course of my career and to my relatives a big thank you, without family and friends it would not have been possible."

Hyypia, who will also be involved in the Finnish set-up, added regarding his move into coaching: "It will be an interesting year.

"I must get a coaching license and then I get the experience of Leverkusen and the national team coaching.

"I'm really happy about this. All who know me know I put myself fully into it. It is 100 per cent or nothing."

No comments: