Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Maxi Rodriguez: Liverpool Can Pip Tottenham To Fifth Place

Liverpool midfielder Maxi Rodriguez believes that the club can still beat Tottenham to fifth place in the Premier League and in doing so qualify for European football next season.

The Argentine international scored a hat-trick in Saturday’s thumping 5-0 win over Birmingham and believes that with Tottenham slipping up against West Bromwich Albion they could overtake Harry Redknapp's side in the chase for fourth position.

“It is definitely a great feeling to score a hat-trick but it is not just about me scoring the goals," he told the club's official website.

“The team played really well and that is the most important thing.

“Tottenham's draw means we have closed the gap to fifth place and we still have a chance of qualifying for Europe. We will keep fighting right until the end and hopefully we can finish the season in a positive way.”

Maxi’s hat-trick on Saturday was his first for the club and he admitted he was taken aback by the reception of the crowd after he was taken off in the closing stages of the game.

He added: “It's definitely my best moment in a Liverpool shirt.

“I think it's more special because we scored a lot of goals, it was my first hat-trick for the club and also because I scored it at Anfield in front of our fans.

“I have to say that it was also a great moment when I was substituted in the last minute. The whole ground gave me a reception I will never forget and Kenny also said he was very happy with my performance, so I have to be delighted with what was a perfect day for me.”

No comments: