Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lucas Vows To Fight For Place Next Season

Lucas Leiva is determined not to be pushed back on the periphery by Liverpool’s anticipated transfer spree this summer.

Club owners Fenway Sports Group have already intimated they are prepared to spend heavily to strengthen the squad and help propel the Anfield outfit back into the Champions League.

It means many senior players could find their futures under threat by the expected influx of incomings that will follow the January arrivals of £58million duo Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez. Click here to follow us on Twitter for the latest Liverpool FC updates.

But having recently penned a new contract, Lucas believes he has demonstrated he deserves a regular starting place after winning over the doubters with his performances during the last 18 months.

“A new season is a new season, but I don’t think I would have signed a new contract if the club did not have a plan for me,” said the central midfielder. “I am just happy with the way I am playing.

“A lot of players have come already and I am still here, still playing, so that means that the club believes in my football and my qualities. I am just trying to play well.

“We will sign some players for next season that is for sure, but I think I am showing that I am capable of playing in the team all the time.”

Lucas made his 43rd appearance of the season in Saturday’s 5-0 romp against Birmingham City, with only Martin Skrtel and Pepe Reina having played more games.

And the Brazilian added: “Last season I think I played 46 games, but this season I am trying to take more responsibility than I did last season because some players left and I am trying to step up and to show my real quality.

“I am really confident and happy with the way I am playing and I just have to improve and next season fight for my place.”

Among those extra responsibilities is helping teenagers such as Jack Robinson and John Flanagan, who have been pressed into action in recent weeks due to Liverpool’s lengthy injury list.

And with Kenny Dalglish’s side having moved to within three points of Tottenham Hotspur, Lucas has not given up hope of a top-five finish.

“With the youngsters that are in the team now, we have to make sure they are as comfortable as they can be,” he said. “They will make mistakes, everyone does, but at the end of the day I think they are doing really well.

“We are delighted because the way they came in when some important players were injured has been brilliant. We are on a good run at the moment and I think they deserve to be playing at the moment.

“We just have to try and finish as high in the table as possible and the way we are playing at the moment I think we deserve to be higher than sixth place where we are at the moment.”

A knee injury to Carroll meant a first outing in more than a month for Maxi Rodriguez. And Lucas believes that the Argentine responded with his first hat-trick for the club underlines the unity and morale of the squad.

“Maxi is an important player for us, he has not played for a few weeks but he showed what he can do,” he added. “It is not just about the goals, but his work-rate too. He always plays for the team and we are all delighted for him.

“The way in which he slotted straight back into the team shows everyone is together and the team is playing with confidence.”

No comments: