Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spurs Ready To Offer Struggling Cole Escape Route

Joe Cole faced up to the reality of his uncertain Anfield future, by admitting last night he must take things 'day by day'.

The England midfielder has endured a tough time since his high-profile move to Liverpool last summer and already there are suggestions the writing is on the wall for him at the club, with Tottenham rumoured to be a potential summer destination.

Harry Redknapp rivalled the Reds when Cole left Chelsea at the end of last season, and he is believed to be still willing to offer the 29 year old a route out of his current torment, despite being snubbed last time.

After a bright start on Merseyside, a succession of injuries have left him struggling desperately for form and fitness, and Cole has found it impossible to hold down a regular first team place, let alone stake an international claim.

He has been reduced to scrubbing around in the Europa League, desperately hoping for some more minutes on the pitch in a competition clearly viewed as second rate by his club.

For a player of such natural talent and obvious quality, the former Chelsea man has suffered the indignity of making more starts in Europe's second grade competition than in the Premier League. In fact, he has started 10 times in Europe, but incredibly, only six in domestic football.

Given that Liverpool has played their second string virtually all the way through the competition, it does not bode well for his long term future at the club.

And Cole clearly knows that. When pressed about his future on Thursday night after defeat in Portugal to Braga, he admitted that he cannot afford to look beyond the next day, and his body language suggested he may well be on the move shortly.

'The whole set-up, the players are gelling, you can just feel this club's going in the right direction, but for me I will just take it day by day,' he confessed.

'Do I think I made the wrong decision to come here? As I say, it's day by day. I'm proud to play for Liverpool, every day in every training session I am working hard and enjoying myself.

'It has been difficult this season, and I find myself playing these Europa League games trying to catch up, but I am still nice and positive, still myself - I know what a great job it is playing football for a living, but what will be, will be.'

Cole understands the painful irony of his situation. While he is obvious unsure of his next step at Anfield, he also believes the club has now turned the corner towards a brighter future.

Despite the setback in Braga on Thursday, he is convinced Liverpool is heading back towards their rightful place at the summit of English football.

And he believes they now have the right manager, and the right set-up to become one of the Premier League's big guns again, even if he far from he will be part of that potentially glorious future.

'We've got good players, the club is looking really positive, going in the right direction and I am proud to be part of it,' he insisted.

'I just think we have the right man here in Kenny Dalglish, the fans love him. Damien Comolli's come in and brought in some fantastic players, while I know Steve Clarke from Chelsea and I don't think there is a better coach around.

'I am happy, I like the lads, I like the training now, the manager has come in and been a breath of fresh air.

'Of course I still think I can make it here. There's nothing stopping me but I just have to take it day by day, step by step and we'll see where we go.'

Cole was disappointed with the result in Portugal, especially because he believes he should have had a penalty when he was felled by Braga defender Kaka.

But the midfielder is still confident Liverpool can turn the tie around in the second leg next week, especially with the help of Andy Carroll and the inspiration the big striker will provide for the Kop.

'Andy came on and looked a real threat, a real handful. The fans will be really looking forward to seeing him at Anfield and he can make a big difference? Cole added.

'With the punters behind us at Anfield we will keep going and it will be a big night, and we will see if we can keep ourselves in the competition.'

No comments: