Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cole Keen To Shine For Reds

Joe Cole has signalled his intention to change his luck at Liverpool through sheer hard work.

The 29-year-old has failed to live up to his pre-season billing for the club and has struggled for form, fitness and confidence.

Cole played the full 90 minutes against Sporting Braga on Thursday on the left of midfield, where he has often found himself deployed for his new club.

It is a position that he has seldom looked comfortable in but he is determined to prove his worth to the fans and caretaker manager Kenny Dalglish.

"I am just going day by day. I am enjoying my football and I love to go into training with a smile on my face," said Cole.

"I'm trying to get a run in the side and trying to get back to where I need to be.

"If you work hard you get a bit of luck here and there and I am sure my luck is around the corner.

"This is a cracking club and I really think we are going in the right direction with Kenny Dalglish, Steve Clarke (first-team coach who also worked with Cole at Chelsea) and Damien Comolli (the director of football strategy)."

Andy Carroll's recovery from a thigh injury was stepped up as he made just his second appearance for Liverpool since completing his record £35million move from Newcastle.

Last week against Manchester United, he played for 16 minutes, while on Thursday evening this was increased to 31.

His introduction coincided with Liverpool's best spell in the game and having played with another target man in Didier Drogba at Chelsea, Cole is backing Carroll to be a hit.

Cole added: "He is only a young lad but he reminds me of a young Didier Drogba.

"I have played with both of them and I think he has all the attributes to become that type of centre-forward."

No comments: