Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reina Dismisses Suggestions He Is Best Liverpool Goalkeeper Ever

Liverpool’s Pepe Reina has shrugged off claims that he is the club’s best-ever goalkeeper.

It has been suggested that Reina, 28, is better than club legends such as Ray Clemence, Bruce Grobbelaar and Tommy Lawrence.

Reina has picked up four out of the last five golden gloves - the award given for the most Premier League clean sheets every season - and also set a club record when he recorded 100 clean sheets in just 198 appearances.

However, the Spaniard says it is hard to compare goalkeepers from different eras.

“It makes me proud. It’s something really big, but in Liverpool’s history there have been great goalkeepers,” Reina was quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

“It’s difficult to say who the best are because the times and the rules change. It’s difficult to compare us all.

“I’m not sure my hands would be good without gloves. It was a different kind of situation and in the past there were probably more difficult moments.”

If Reina starts against Braga in the Europa League on Thursday night, he will record his 300th appearance for the Merseyside club; a feat the stopper never expected to achieve.

“No, I didn’t really think it would happen,” he added.

“It was difficult to think, because you’re moving to a new country and you don’t know how you’re going to settle down or what the people are going to think about you.

“I’m really proud of the amount of games I’ve played. It’s not something I imagined.

“I trust myself and I knew I could be a good keeper here, but to play 300 games - I think I’ve been really lucky and I’m really proud to have played in each one.”

No comments: