Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bruce Admits Carroll Miss

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce says he lost out on the chance to sign Andy Carroll for £4.5million while managing at Wigan, because it was beyond his budget.

Carroll, who broke the British transfer record when he arrived at Liverpool from Newcastle for £35million on transfer deadline day, caught Bruce's eye while playing for the Magpies just over three years ago.

Bruce claims then Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear offered him the striking ace for £4.5m, but the Latics could only stretch to £2.5m and the deal fell through.

He told The Journal: "Andy Carroll could quite easily have ended up being my player.

"When I was Wigan manager, we were hammering Newcastle 2-0 but they brought him on and he played well - really well. He made a hell of a difference.

"On the Monday morning I rang up Joe Kinnear and asked him if he would sell Andy. They quoted me £4.5m and I seriously thought about it, but in the end we could only go to £2.5m.

"I had Emile Heskey at the time as well and I did wonder if he and Carroll would work together up front."

Injury has hampered Carroll's start to life at Anfield, with the 22-year-old making just two appearances for the Reds so far, both of which were off the bench.

But the striker is in line to make his full Premier League debut against Sunderland on Sunday, and Bruce is aware of the threat he will pose to the Black Cats' backline.

"I'm sure Andy will make his full Premier League debut against us although I hope the niggle he has lasts for a bit longer!" said Bruce.

"That will present a challenge both to him and to us. I honestly wish him the best of luck."

He added: "He is the old-fashioned British No 9 and it will be interesting to see how he does and how he manages for Liverpool.

"He has got a wonderful opportunity and I am sure he has a fantastic future because he is so different."

No comments: