Monday, March 21, 2011

Kenny Dalglish In No Hurry To Begin Contract Talks With Liverpool

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is happy to leave his contract talks until the time is right after guiding the club to another Premier League victory.

The Reds took their tally under the Scot to 20 points from ten league games with a 2-0 win at Sunderland which leaves them four points adrift of fifth-placed Tottenham.

They did so amid much speculation over Dalglish’s future but the Liverpool boss is relaxed, saying: ‘I have seen in the papers I have asked for four years. Well, I don’t know who I asked.

‘I saw I was offered two [years] – I don’t know who sent that in. Somebody said have I spoken to the owners – of course you speak to the owners, you speak to them regularly. 

But there have been no detailed discussions about next season. There is no pressure on anyone. I don’t have a problem if it is in the best interests of the football club.’

The case for Dalglish to be handed the job on a permanent basis was only strengthened at the Stadium of Light.

His men went ahead in controversial fashion in the 34th minute when John Mensah tripped Jay Spearing and referee Kevin Friend gave a free-kick but was persuaded by his assistant to award a penalty – despite replays suggesting contact was made outside the area.

Mensah, later dismissed for a professional foul on Luis Suarez, was booked before Dirk Kuyt calmly dispatched the penalty.

Suarez then secured victory with an effort from the tightest possible angle 13 minutes from time.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce was upset about the penalty decision and said: ‘I knew and [fourth official] Martin Atkinson knew within five seconds it was outside the box with the technology we’ve got. Surely it has got to be time for those sort of things to be brought into play.’

No comments: