Monday, February 07, 2011

Kenny Dalglish Says Liverpool FC's Only Motivation Against Chelsea Was Desire To Win

Kenny Dalglish insisted the sight of Fernando Torres in a Chelsea shirt hadn’t provided any extra motivation for Liverpool in yesterday’s impressive 1-0 victory over Chelsea.

The British record £50million signing endured a miserable debut as Raul Meireles scored the only goal of the game at Stamford Bridge.

A fourth successive victory lifted the Reds into the top six of the Premier League for the first time this season.

“The players approached it professionally,” he said. “I don’t think (Torres’ presence) was any incentive.

“The incentive for us was to get three points and we did. Whatever someone else wants to do with their life is up to them.

“I came here to win three points and it would have made no difference if Carlo Ancelotti was playing up front, I’d still want the three points. The personnel of the opposition is not important to me.

“To be honest, he had one shot on target and Jamie Carragher made one great block tackle on him, but I’m not here to talk about other people’s players. I’m here to talk about my own players.”

Victory was achieved without either of the two strikers Dalglish brought in to replace Torres.

Andy Carroll is still sidelined by a thigh strain and Luis Suarez was an unused substitute as Dirk Kuyt worked tirelessly up front.

Dalglish believes his new recruits will face a battle to get into the side.

“The players were fantastic in their determination to win,” he said.


“As this football club has always said, the most important people are the people who are at Liverpool Football Club and that is the way it will always be.

“We have signed two fantastic players in Suarez and Carroll and we’re looking forward to seeing them – if they can get in the team that is. With the way we played today that won’t be easy.

“We’ve had four games now and we’ve played different systems, and not had any goals against. That’s down to a great pride in their work and a fantastic respect for the club. Whatever way we play will be to our strengths.”

A remarkable transformation in the Reds’ fortunes has reignited talk of Champions League qualification and boosted Dalglish’s chances of being handed the job on a permanent basis.

However, the caretaker boss insisted he’s just focused on carrying out the duties he was given.

He said: “If you win games, you get points, you move up the table. We’ve had our reward with four on the spin, and we’ve got next Saturday to look forward to against Wigan.

“It’s repetitive but in my footballing life I was only ever told to look after the next game. Sixth is a lot healthier than 12th when we started. That’s credit to he players, who have given 100%.

“I’m only doing what I said I would come in and do, which is help. I’ll never stand in the way of progress at this football club. I have never had a conversation with the owners beyond the conversation I had when I came in.

“That’s where we stand at the moment and until there is more to discuss – that is where we are.”

No comments: