Monday, February 07, 2011

Kenny Dalglish Distances Himself From Permanent Managerial Role

Kenny Dalglish has claimed that he has not spoken to Liverpool’s American owners about being given the manager’s job on a full-time basis.

Liverpool’s caretaker boss said he would “not step in the way” of another candidate should the John W Henry-led Fenway Sports Group consider that was the best way forward for the club.

Dalglish has overseen a revival since returning to the helm at Anfield following a two-decade break. Liverpool has climbed to sixth in the Premier League and their 1-0 victory at Chelsea on Sunday was their fourth win in consecutive games.

Asked about his long-term job prospects, Dalglish told reporters: “I’m only doing what I said I would do and that is to come in and help. I would never stand in the way of this football club.

“I haven’t discussed it [manager’s job] beyond the conversation when I took this job. That’s where I stand at the moment. When there is nothing to be discussed, I won’t discuss it.

“My concern is the Wigan match next week. The owners have been fantastic in their support during the transfer window.

“You've got to give credit to them. I think by their actions they are making decisions that are in the best interests of this football club.”

Dalglish was delighted with the application of his players after responding impressively to a three centre-back system that was used to negate Chelsea’s three-pronged strike attack.

“The players were fantastic in their approach to the game and their determination to win the match and not lose a game of football,” the Scot said. “We have played with it (three centre-halves) twice. We play with a system that suits our players and the opposition.

“I’m not trying to be clever or a tactical genius. I’m just trying to get the best out of the players. It’s a credit to them that a couple of things that we did want them to do tactically they took on board brilliantly.

“We have got four clean sheets in a row and 12 points. Anybody who is favour of Liverpool is very happy at the moment.”

Asked about Liverpool coming up against old boy Fernando Torres, Dalglish insisted there was no additional motivation in the game beyond the lure of three points.

“The players approached it professionally," he said. "I don't think (Torres' presence) was any incentive.

“The incentive for us was to get three points and we did. Whatever someone else wants to do with their life is up to them.

“I came here to win three points and it would have made no difference if Carlo Ancelotti was playing up front, I'd still want the three points. The personnel of the opposition is not important to me.”

He added: “To be honest, he (Torres) had one shot on target and Jamie Carragher made one great block tackle on him, but I'm not here to talk about other people's players, I'm here to talk about my own players.”

Dalglish singled out the contribution of Jamie Carragher, who was magnificent on his return to the team after two months out with a dislocated shoulder.

“It’s like getting another player in,” he said. “He is a fantastic asset for this club. It was a great credit to his level of fitness, especially at his age. He is not a teenager anymore but has been able to keep training and work with the sports science people.

“It was very important for him to play today to encourage, talk and lead. His heart and commitment and pride in playing for the football club helped to get him to the end. Tomorrow morning he will not feel the way he does today.”

No comments: