Sunday, January 30, 2011

Skrtel Hails Young Defender

Martin Skrtel believes Liverpool's defensive problems are on the mend thanks in no small part to the presence of Martin Kelly.

Caretaker boss Kenny Dalglish had to wait until his fourth game back in charge for a victory due to a clutch of rearguard lapses.

Successive clean sheets have helped Liverpool collect six points from their last two fixtures - evidence that work on the training ground is paying off, according to Skrtel.

One man he believes can take a bow is 20-year-old Kelly, who has started all five of Dalglish's matches to date.

"I am positive about the fact that we didn’t concede on Wednesday," said Skrtel. "It was a lucky goal for us but I think we deserved to win. We must beat Stoke City now and we will see what happens with Chelsea. I would like to win these games as well.

"I think Martin Kelly is doing really well for us. I remember when he played against Chelsea at Anfield this season and was one of our best players.

"He did extremely well playing against their big stars and he competed very well with them.

"He is working really hard and I am happy for him because he is a nice guy and a great player."

Another player responsible for Liverpool's upturn in form is Raul Meireles, who took his goals tally since joining from Porto in the summer to two with hits against Everton and Wolves.

Skrtel added: "He's a great player with a lot of quality and he showed this when he played for Porto and he is doing the same now at Liverpool.

"It was an unbelievable goal he scored against Wolves and I saw it very clear because I was right behind him.

"It was one of the best goals I have seen this season."

No comments: