Sunday, January 30, 2011

Agger: I Like Kenny's Style

Daniel Agger believes Kenny Dalglish is attempting to install a positive mentality into Liverpool's playing style - and it's one he's relishing.

The Dane feels the training methods Dalglish has implemented at Melwood have had the desired effect so far, with the Reds winning their last two matches in the Barclays Premier League to move up to seventh in the table.

Agger told Liverpool's official matchday programme: "He's (Dalglish) such a big personality and his name is so big around this club and this city, it's unbelievable. He's been here for a few weeks now and I can say that I like his style of football.

"I think every day, he is so positive in what he does - trying to get the team to go forward by playing football. I believe he can be really good for us.

"In the team meetings and in training you can hear and by the different things we're working on that he really wants us to play positive football and how important it is to keep possession, not giving it away so easily.

"He understands that long-term success happens with teams and not individuals so there has been a big emphasis on team spirit."

Shortly after the confirmation of his appointment, Dalglish drafted in Steve Clarke to assist with the coaching of the squad at Melwood.

Agger has been impressed with the manner in which the pair have worked together so far, and he's hopeful they will both have decisive roles to play in Liverpool's future.

"Already you can see that he (Steve Clarke) is, and will hopefully in the future be, a positive influence on this club," he said.

"He and Kenny look like a really good team and together I hope they can play a huge part in the club's future - not just in the short-term, but in the long-term as well. It is clear that they suit this club.

"Obviously we need results but that's up to the players in the squad to make that happen too.

"We have that spirit back under the new manager and that counts for a lot because if you have confidence, it's easier to achieve success.

"You have seen in the past what some of the players here can do - there's no reason why we can't do it again."

Since recovering from injury, Agger has started all five of Liverpool's games since Dalglish took over at the helm - and he remains adamant he sees his future at Anfield.

The defender added: "I don't see why I shouldn't see my immediate future here because I have three or so years left on my contract and I intend to fulfil that.

"I believe in the club and like the city, so why should I look anywhere else?"

No comments: