Friday, January 21, 2011

Martin Kelly Thanks Glen Johnson For Helping Improve His Game

Liverpool defender Martin Kelly has said that fellow defender Glen Johnson has helped him improve as a player, despite both being in direct competition for the right-back role in the side.

Kelly has started in every one of Kenny Dalglish's three games in charge so far and has earned praise for his performances.

He started in the FA Cup loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford as England international Johnson had to pull out because his partner was due to give birth, and kept his slot against Blackpool and Everton, where Johnson was forced to play down the left-flank.

And Kelly said on the club's official website: "It was good to play in a big game like that at Old Trafford.

"I remember missing the FA Youth Cup final there through injury and I was devastated, so it was good to go back and play there.

"Glen has been a good help for me. Just watching him on the pitch and seeing how good he is on the training ground has also helped me. He's a great lad and we get on well.

"For me it's good to play at right-back. I could have been pushed out to left-back when Glen came back against Blackpool but the manager has kept me there, and hopefully my performances have shown I can stay there.

"I am enjoying playing at right-back but if the time comes when I'm needed to play centre-back I will play there as well.

"It's good to be able to play anywhere in the back four if need be.

"Playing against Manchester United and then Everton are two of the biggest games I've ever been involved in.

"I've only played 20 games for Liverpool so far and playing in the derby was enjoyable and tough, and I'm still feeling a little stiff from that."

No comments: