Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kenny Dalglish Has 'No Problem' With Short-Term Liverpool Stay

Kenny Dalglish's second stint as manager at Liverpool may yet be extended beyond the end of the season, but for now the Anfield legend is just focused on improving a group of players who have so far under-achieved this term after revealing that he has no trepidation about the short-term nature of his return.

The 59-year-old will take the managerial helm at Anfield until the end of the season, something with which he insists he has no concerns about.

“My understanding is that it’s until the end of the season, and that’s no problem for me,” Dalglish told the assembled media on Monday.

“I’ve heard stories about demanding this and demanding that. I got a call Saturday morning, I got asked if I would take the job, and it was a straightforward ‘yes’.

“I came back here to work at a club to which myself and my family are eternally grateful, and if I can get to the end of the season I think I’ll be one of the longest-serving managers in the Premiership.

"If I do really well and someone better comes along, it’s not a problem. I’m here to help in any way shape or form I can.”

Liverpool currently lie in 12th position, with just 7 wins from 20 games in the Premier League following the reign of Roy Hodgson, something which Dalglish accepts isn't good enough, but is sure that he can put right, despite a decade away from management.

“The squad of players is much better than the form table and points gained so far suggest," Dalglish said.

“Football hasn’t changed. It’s about players and your relationship with them, imparting your knowledge to them."

Dalglish also had his say on the furore surrounding Ryan Babel, and his posting of a doctored photo showing Howard Webb in a Manchester United shirt on Twitter, something that the manager saw as “just a bit of fun".

He added: “The FA should look into it and try to find a sense of humour."

No comments: