Sunday, November 07, 2010

Steven Gerrard Has No Regrets Having Previously Turned Down Chelsea To Remain At Liverpool

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard insists that he has no regrets about turning down a move to Chelsea earlier in his career.

A few years ago the Reds captain had seriously considered the prospect of making a move to Stamford Bridge, when he had admitted that he had entertained thoughts concerning "the possibility of moving on".

But he eventually remained at the club and is still waiting to win his first Premier League title, whereas the Blues have gone from strength-to-strength and were crowned champions last term.

Ahead of the game between the two sides at Anfield, the Kop favorite insists that his wait for league success will be sweeter when it does arrive on Merseyside as opposed to west London.

"I don’t think sacrifice is the right word to stay at Liverpool," Gerrard said, according to The Mirror.

"Playing for Liverpool and being the captain, I wouldn’t call that a sacrifice – I would call that living a dream.

"Of course there have been opportunities in the past to move on – Chelsea and other times as well – but I love this club, I want to stay and be successful because when that day comes, I know it will mean an awful lot more to me."

The club has only recently been taken over by New England Sports Ventures, and the skipper hopes that they bring about a quick change to facilitate his need to achieve further glory at Liverpool.

"From a selfish point of view, I want a short-term fix from the new owners, but I’m not naive enough to think it is about me or the players coming to the final part of their careers.

"The Americans have got the right idea by trying to build a platform for this club for many years but I’m looking for the quick-fix because I have only got four or five years left at this level and I want to win trophies before I finish. That is what I go to work for."

He added: "The last 12 months have been the most difficult since I was 18 and broke into the first team.

"We finished seventh in the league and then there was all the stuff that went on off the pitch. Hopefully that is all behind us now – and we can move on."

No comments: