Sunday, November 07, 2010

Liverpool Desperately Need Damien Comolli To Be A Success

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one left scratching his head this week when I heard Liverpool had appointed a director of football strategy.

I’ve certainly never heard a job title like that.

The more I looked into what is expected of Damien Comolli at Anfield, the more I realized that it’s basically the role I always knew as chief scout.

Comolli’s job is to identify and recruit players for the Academy right up to the first team.

His arrival could be viewed as stepping on Roy Hodgson’s toes but the manager has come out and said he’s happy to have Comolli on board so hopefully they will work well together.

Comolli has an impressive CV having worked at Arsenal and Tottenham and he’s got a massive task facing him at Liverpool.

The bottom line is we don’t have enough quality players and the new owners have made it clear they aren’t going to give the manager a blank cheque book.

As a result it’s vital we’re able to identify talented youngsters and bring them to the club.

We’ve got such a good spine to the team with Reina, Carragher, Gerrard and Torres but we still need better players around them.

If Comolli is a success at Liverpool then he will actually save the club money.

I really hope he’s already got two wingers and a centre forward on his list of potential recruits.

No comments: