Friday, November 12, 2010

Russian Sensation Confirms Liverpool Contact As Deal Edges Closer

Zenit St Petersburg striker Aleksandr Kerzhakov says he has been approached over a potential move to Liverpool.

The Russia international scored two hat-tricks in nine days for Zenit last month, and this recent goal splurge seems to have attracted Liverpool as they look to bolster their strike force in January.

Kerzhakov, 27, has since admitted that Liverpool have been in contact with his agent to express their interest in his signature, although the former Sevilla hotshot says he is content at his current club.

"The talk about Liverpool is not baseless. The British club came to my agent with a proposal but I did not give an answer. I have other things to think about and in all respects I am happy in Russia," he told told Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

"My team is in first place in the national championship and I have always said that I wanted to play for Zenit.

"In the case of Liverpool I will take no initiative, but I can count the fingers on one hand for the amount of clubs I could theoretically go to.

"This is because Zenit is playing beautiful, modern football and the club is growing rapidly. And I am here, at home."

Roy Hodgson has made no secret of his desire to bring another striker to Anfield in the New Year to take the goalscoring burden away from Liverpool hero Fernando Torres, and Kerzhakov is just the latest in a long line of players to be linked with a move to Merseyside.

No comments: