Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Martin Skrtel Withdraws From Slovakia Squad For Bosnia-Herzegovina Friendly

Slovakia coach Vladimir Weiss will have to make do without the services of highly rated Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel when his men take on Bosnia-Herzegovina in Wednesday's international friendly.

The towering centre-back sustained an injury in his side's 2-0 league loss against Stoke City last weekend and will be sidelined for a few days as a result.

"I've had problems with my knee and ankle since the Stoke game. Before half-time, one of the opposing players kicked me in the knee from behind and I had to finish the game under pain-killers," Skrtel was quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

"Besides that, I also twisted my ankle, which has been haunting me since a friendly game against Costa Rice in June. Right after the game, I called the Slovakia coach and explained my situation to him. I'm glad he understood and gave me free time.

"It would make no sense to travel to Slovakia and be there for two days when it is uncertain whether I would play or not. If it was a qualifier I would surely travel, but this way we have agreed it's better for me to stay in Liverpool and try to recover."

No comments: