Monday, November 15, 2010

Hodgson Apologises For Comments On Johnson

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has apologized after his comments about Glen Johnson's form were interpreted as a criticism of the England defender.

Johnson has struggled to find any rhythm during an injury-hit start to the season and has missed the Reds' last three matches with a groin problem.

After Liverpool's midweek draw with Wigan, Hodgson said Johnson had not yet reached the level which made him a regular in Fabio Capello's side over the last year.

Reports then emerged claiming Johnson is unhappy at Anfield and that his relationship with the manager has deteriorated.

Hodgson responded after Saturday's defeat at Stoke by insisting he didn't mean to cause Johnson any offence.

"We all want Glen Johnson to find his England form, but that has nothing to do with him being injured at the moment," he said. "That was just a general comment that I think I was entitled to make.

"We have a player with ability and we are hoping he is going to bring that ability to the team because we want to use it help us win matches.

"It is no good being a player with great ability if you are not bringing that on to the field of play.

"We know Glen can and will do that but first and foremost Glen has to get fit and I'm hoping that will be the case by next Sunday (at home to West Ham) because he has made good progress.

"He as well as I knows this season he hasn't reached that form very often - it amazes me that when you make a statement of such obvious voracity people want to make headlines out of it.

"Everyone is saying what I am saying. I hope I am honest and I hope the players are honest.

"I didn't realize I had been accused of criticizing him; I don't normally criticize my players and I'm sorry if that has been suggested."

No comments: