Sunday, July 11, 2010

Torres Promises To Have Final Impact

Spain striker Fernando Torres believes he will have a big part to play in Sunday's World Cup final.

Torres was dropped to the bench for the semi-final victory over Germany after coach Vicente del Bosque opted to go with Barcelona youngster Pedro.

The Liverpool striker had started Spain's previous four games but has yet to score in the tournament as he feels his way back to match-fitness following knee surgery which caused him to miss the end of the domestic season.

Torres could again find himself on the bench against Netherlands in Sunday's final in Johannesburg, but the striker is still confident of having a major influence on the biggest game of his career.

"I still feel I have a big part to play at this World Cup," he said.

"It is up to the coach, Vicente del Bosque, if he starts me, but I feel ready. I don't want to make excuses but I haven't been at my best in this World Cup because my fitness is not where it should be.

"But every day I feel that little bit sharper in training and I am ready to start if called on."

No comments: