Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Roy Hodgson Explains Winding Career Route Which Took Him To Liverpool

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson believes that his keen work ethic may be what has kept him away from a job at one of England's top clubs until now.

The well-travelled coach has enjoyed a varied career all over Europe and the Middle East and feels his willingness to take jobs and eagerness to return to the game when out of work have created a somewhat indirect path to Anfield.

"I wouldn't say I've done things the hard way because there are all kinds of routes a person can take in football management that throw up contrasting challenges," Hodgson told LFC Weekly magazine.

"It would be disrespectful to other managers to say that I've had it tougher. What I would say is that my route to Liverpool has been slightly different.

"My problem has been that I love working and I hate being out of it. Whenever I have been, after a few weeks I have found myself yearning for a return. So maybe on occasions I've been prone to jumping at an offer at a smaller club when I should have waited a little longer before a better job has come around."

Hodgson also believes that his ability to fit in to foreign environments fairly seamlessly has often meant that English clubs tended to forget about him when it came to finding a new manager.

"There have been times when I've tried to blend in too well to the surroundings I'm in, rather than be myself and portray my Englishness," he added.

"I sometimes think that people in England probably view me as the least English of the English managers. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it has taken me longer than others to get one of the big jobs."

No comments: