Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Gerrard - I'm No Quitter

Liverpool ace Steven Gerrard insists he will not call time on his international career despite England's World Cup disappointment.

The midfielder skippered Fabio Capello's side through their faltering Group C campaign followed by the 4-1 second round loss to Germany.

Since the defeat, Liverpool team-mate Jamie Carragher, who was persuaded to come out of retirement for the tournament by Capello, has again announced his withdrawal from the England scene.

The Italian boss is also thought to be planning to make wholesale changes to his side, replacing some of the 'old guard' with younger blood.

But Gerrard insists he will not be quitting England duty and he desperately wants to add to his 84 caps and make amends for the Germany disappointment.

He told Liverpool's official website: "There is no way I want the disappointment of the Germany game to be my last for England.

"It was such a low and I am determined to do as much as I can to make amends for what happened.

"I expect there to be a lot of changes to the squad and it is up to the manager whether I am selected, but I am going to continue to make myself available for my country."

No comments: