Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rafael van der Vaart Flattered By Interest From Liverpool

Real Madrid midfielder Rafael van der Vaart is eyeing a move to the Premier League with Liverpool.

The 27-year-old has fallen down the pecking order at the Santiago Bernabeu and the Holland international has been linked with a move away from the club.

And Van der Vaart admitted that he would welcome a move to England in his search of guaranteed first-team football.

"I have heard of the interest from Liverpool - and that is very flattering," van der Vaart told the Daily Star Sunday.

"If Liverpool is willing to offer me first-team football, I will be honest that it would be very hard for me to not listen to what they had to say.

"I think I have the relationship with Madrid where they understand my position and would let me hold talks.

"I expect the majority of transfers to be concluded in the next two weeks, and if Liverpool wanted to talk with me I would at the very least listen to what they have to say.

"Liverpool is a very big club, and if they could offer first-team football it may prove impossible to turn down.

"I wouldn't be willing to play for any clubs in Spain out of respect for Madrid, so in my eyes the only other place to go would be the Premier League.

"It's the only league that competes with the standard of La Liga."

The Netherlands international found himself on the substitutes' bench for the majority of the World Cup, although he was called upon to come on in most games, including the final against Spain.

No comments: