Friday, July 30, 2010

Liverpool Face Battle To Keep Daniel Pacheco As Striker Mulls Real Sociedad Approach

Daniel Pacheco has excited Liverpool fans with his performances for Spain at the Under 19 European Championship.

But the forward admits he can see little chance of breaking through at Anfield and is tempted by a move to Real Sociedad.

The Basque club is keen to strike a deal for the 19-year-old and Pacheco revealed he had been taking guidance from former Liverpool and Sociedad midfielder Xabi Alonso.

'Of course, playing for Real (Sociedad) appeals to me, without doubt,' he told El Mundo Deportivo. 'I have heard good things about the club, the city and the people, and if things move in that direction, I will be happy to play there.'

Alonso, now a key part of the Real Madrid midfield, played for five years at Sociedad before joining Liverpool in 2004.

'He (Xabi) has been helping and advising me,' said Pacheco. 'I've been told good things about the coach. They say he bets on youngsters who have character, who like to play.

'I've been told about Zubieta (the training ground), the way they work and the humilty of the club. Everything I hear is good.'

It is unclear whether Liverpool will be prepared to let go of a young talent who has helped Spain's Under 19s to the Euro final in France, but Pacheco fears for his chances at Liverpool after so far making just seven appearances in three years since being signed from Barcelona.

'I don't know much about the negotiations,' he said. 'I'd like to play in La Liga. Above all I want game time or to fight for game time.

'In Liverpool I won't get this opportunity and I would love to have it. Right now the club is signing people and I don't think I will have opportunities. At 19 years old the most important thing is to continue progressing.'

No comments: