Friday, July 30, 2010

Jovanovic Snubbed Real To Head To Reds

Liverpool new boy Milan Jovanovic has revealed that he turned down an offer from Real Madrid in favour of making the move to England this summer.

The 29-year-old Serbia international striker chose to join the Reds from Belgian outfit Standard Liege, having feared that he would get lost among a star-studded Real squad.

Jovanovic told reporters: "I think 99 per cent of people I spoke to told me they did not understand why I said no to Real.

"But maybe I am special. I thought if I went it would be as an ordinary player, but that, if I stayed, I would be where I felt good, where I was a star in Belgium.

"It is only a small league, but Standard Liege won two titles and two Super Cups while I was there. So I was very happy.

"Real offered me just a one-year deal with an option for two years. I said four, they said no and so I turned them down. Maybe they are the biggest club in the world, but I always knew that other big clubs would come.

"I will never go somewhere where I only play a small part. Why? It is better to be happy somewhere. Now I only want to look forward and play for Liverpool. "

No comments: