Monday, July 12, 2010

Benayoun Slams Benitez After Exiting Reds

Former Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun has launched a stinging attack on ex-Reds manager Rafa Benitez, who he says forced him to quit Anfield and head to Chelsea.

Benayoun spent three seasons on Merseyside and scored 29 goals in 134 appearances, but was unhappy with the way he was treated by Benitez, who has also left the club to take charge of Internazionale.

He told The News of The World: "I made up my mind to leave a long time ago because of Benitez. He never treated me with the respect I deserved.

"If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit. When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game.

"There are many examples of him treating me badly. Last season, against Fulham and Lyon, the fans booed when I was subbed.

"They thought I was playing well, but Benitez told me he was surprised they booed because I was not good enough. It was as if the fans' reaction worked against me.

"He told me I was a better player as a substitute instead of starting in the team. He tried to destroy my confidence. You can't treat a player like this and expect him to be happy.

"I felt so unhappy, but out of respect to the club I never spoke out. The players and the people at the top of the club knew how I felt.

"I was sure he wanted me to attack him in the press during the season so he could turn the fans against me, so I kept quiet.

"I felt he was waiting for me to make a mistake so he could use it against me."

No comments: