Thursday, June 03, 2010

Stevie Eyes Five More Years


Steven Gerrard hopes the forthcoming World Cup will not be his last as he eyes five more years of top-level football.

The midfielder turned 30 on Sunday but has no plans to hang up his boots any time soon.

However, with England's so-called Golden Generation reaching its peak, Gerrard accepts South Africa may be his best chance to claim football's greatest prize.

"If I want to win a World Cup, I'm going to have to do it soon," said our No.8.

"But I'm in good shape and I've still got five years to fight for the top prizes in football. I don't know if this will be my last World Cup but I want to give it everything.

"We've (England's current crop of players) been together for a long time, so I don't think there are any excuses for us any more. It's time to deliver. The team is winning and confidence is high, but we still have some improving to do if we want to go all the way."

Gerrard was one of three players to miss in a quarter-final penalty shoot-out loss to Portugal back in 2006 - a rare low point in his glittering career.

The Liverpool man is keen to put things right should penalties come into play this summer.

"Of course I'd take one," he said. "Missing a penalty in the quarter-final in 2006 was the loneliest place in the world, and I want to put that right.

"It's bad enough losing, but to feel responsible for a loss is the worst kind of failure."

No comments: