Thursday, June 03, 2010

Cooper - Wilson Would Suit Reds


Liverpool youngster Alex Cooper is hoping his fellow Scot Danny Wilson will be joining him at Anfield.

The Reds were once renowned for the number of Scottish stars on their books, with the likes of Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness firm Kop idols.

However, Cooper is currently the only man from north of the border within the Liverpool ranks, having left Ross County for Merseyside in 2007.

That situation could change this summer, though, with Rafa Benitez reported to be keen on Rangers full-back Wilson.

Cooper believes the Gers ace would love life in England, even if there is added competition for places, and has called on the 18-year-old to make a move if the opportunity arises.

"I've been playing in the reserves at Liverpool for the past four months and the majority of that team are internationals," Cooper told the Daily Record.

"There are only three or four British boys in the squad and the rest are European and South American players - from countries such as France, Iceland and Argentina.

"It's a great experience to play alongside them, you're mixing it with good players all the time.

"I'm certain if Danny came down he'd enjoy himself.

"I first heard about Danny coming here when one of my friends told me Liverpool were in for him. I played with him for Scotland's U17 side a few years ago and always thought he was a good player.

"I'm not surprised Liverpool are interested in him. All I would say to him is, it's great down here and the standard of player is very high.

"The facilities and the academy at Liverpool are brilliant. It's huge and I've yet to see anything better than we've got. The Melwood training ground is second to none.

"All the young players come from different places around the world but I think that has actually brought us all together. We have a great team spirit in the camp.

"I haven't spoken to Danny recently but I rate him very highly and think he'd do very well at Liverpool. It won't surprise me if he comes and starts challenging for a place in the first team.

"However, there are a lot of top-quality youngsters around so it won't be easy for him.

"If I was to speak to him and he was undecided, I'd definitely tell him to go for it.

"I know he's achieved a lot at Rangers this season but I'm thoroughly enjoying my time here."

No comments: