Sunday, April 04, 2010

Starlet Eyeing Promotion


Stephen Darby is hoping his loan spell at promotion chasing Swindon Town will bring him a step closer to achieving his Liverpool dream.

The 21-year-old Scouser is with Danny Wilson's League One high-flyers until the end of the campaign and they are in a great position as they chase promotion to the Championship.

With eight games remaining Swindon are just one point behind second placed Leeds United who they face in a crunch clash at Elland Road today.

The Reserve team captain has played four games for Town so far and is thoroughly enjoying it.

"This is my first experience being out on loan and I feel like I'm learning each game which is great," Darby told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"The lads have been brilliant helping me get settled in and they've made me feel really welcome which has made it a lot easier for me.

"This is the right time for me to go out on loan and I need to play some games and get more experience. I spoke to the coaching staff at Liverpool who told me this would be good for my development.

"Swindon play football the right way and they are a good team.

"We are not putting too much pressure on ourselves and want to pick up as many points as we can.

"Leeds will be a tough game but it's one we are looking forward to. They beat Manchester United this season in the FA Cup and they gave us a tough game in the Carling Cup, so we know what to expect."

Darby made three appearances for the Liverpool first-team this season, his last being a substitute in the 2-0 Anfield win over Tottenham Hotspur. He was also a strong contender for the man of the match award in January's FA Cup third round draw at Reading.

He still has ambitions of making it at Anfield and intends to give it all he has got to achieve his ultimate ambition which is playing regularly for the first-team in front of the Kop and following in the footsteps of Jamie Carragher.

"I want to help Swindon try and get promotion and then come back to Liverpool and hopefully get a chance in pre-season and show what I can do," he added.

"I know it is tough to make it at Liverpool but it is the club I love and I want to give my best.

"The night before I came to Swindon Carra phoned me and gave me some great advice. I also got a text of Stevie Gerrard. That was really nice of them and it gives you a lot of confidence."

No comments: