Saturday, April 17, 2010

Rafa Agent Clarifies Juve Talk


Rafa Benitez's agent insists there has been no recent interest from Juventus, but claims the Italian giants were keen on the Liverpool boss in January.

Juventus have reportedly made Benitez their top target to take over as coach in the summer from Alberto Zaccheroni, who replaced Ciro Ferrara earlier in the year.

The Spaniard's representative Manuel Garcia Quillon was quoted on Thursday as suggesting he had met with Juve officials to discuss a possible deal for Benitez.

However, Quillon has sought to clarify his comments by reiterating he has not spoken to the Old Lady regarding Benitez and has merely been discussing players.

"I have never said these words," Quillon told Calciomercato.it.

"I have only said that, being a player agent, my duty is to go to talk with a few clubs who are asking me for information about my clients.

"I said I have spoken about players, but I have never spoken about meetings involving Liverpool's coach."

Quillon was speaking after Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett announced that they are looking to find a buyer for the Premier League club.

Benitez's future at Anfield also remains the subject of speculation and Quillon says Juventus tried to tempt the former Valencia boss away in January.

He added: "I have not received any interest [recently] from Juventus for Rafa Benitez.

"Juve approached us back in January, but we told them that the coach would not be leaving Liverpool this season."

No comments: