Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mascherano: I'm Still Waiting


Javier Mascherano has spoken of his determination to end his wait for silverware at Anfield.

The 25-year-old has established himself as one of the best midfielders in the world since arriving from West Ham three years ago.

However, Mascherano has no trophies to show for his efforts and is desperate to put that right.

There is still a chance he could do so this term if Liverpool can navigate Atletico Madrid in the Europa League semis over the next two weeks.

"I don't want to leave Liverpool having won nothing. For me, that would be a failure," Mascherano told LFC Weekly.

"I often think about how I will look back on my career when I've finished.

"I talk about this with my teammates all the time and we all understand how important it is for the club and the city to give something back.

"It is clear to me that Liverpool fans and the people of Liverpool have been fighting all their lives for the good of the club and that is something that inspires me when I step on to the pitch.

"I would like to look back at the end of a long career with Liverpool with lots of winners' medals and trophies."

The Argentina captain has once again reiterated his desire to stay on Merseyside to help secure a first Championship since 1990 - a target he thinks is achievable in the next few seasons.

"Liverpool know that I want to stay," said Mascherano. "I will be really proud if I can spend another six or seven years playing for Liverpool.

"I think there aren't too many clubs in the world with the history and supporters that Liverpool have. I am very aware of that.

"All of the senior players still believe we can win trophies here and make the supporters proud."

No comments: