Sunday, March 21, 2010

Reina Holds No Reds Regrets


Jose Reina has denied Liverpool are a 'sinking ship' and insists he will not regret extending his contract.

The highly-rated goalkeeper agreed a new four-year extension at Anfield earlier in the month, meaning the 27-year-old Spanish international has committed his best years to the Merseyside outfit.

Europe's elite, including Reina's former employers Barcelona, had reportedly been keeping tabs on the talented shot-stopper in case he wanted to jump the 'sinking ship' - in the words of team-mate Albert Riera.

But the former Villarreal number one stands by his decision to remain at Liverpool for the next six years.

"I am really proud and really lucky to be here," said Reina, who will be charged with the task of halting Wayne Rooney when Manchester United host Liverpool on Sunday, a game live on Sky Sports.

"I felt wanted from the beginning and these kind of things are personal. My mind is clear, my decision is taken and I have no regrets at all.

"It is nice to hear that other teams want me. But I am not thinking about leaving Liverpool at all. This is the right club for me.

"I don't see it as a sacrifice, signing for so long, and it doesn't make any difference to me if some people are saying I could have had my pick of clubs across Europe.

"I have talked it through with my wife and we don't see any better place to go. It is personal as well as professional. The education of my child is another factor and I feel it would be brilliant for my kids to grow up speaking two languages.

"I want them to speak English as well as Spanish and if it turns out to be with a Scouse accent, I will still be proud of them!"

Reina accepts that Liverpool have endured a miserable campaign thus far, with expectations of ending a 20-year wait for the domestic title not reached in a season that could see the Reds finishing outside the top four and missing out on a coveted UEFA Champions League place.

But the Reds shot-stopper responded to comments by team-mate and compatriot Riera that manager Rafa Benitez is not prepared to change a losing side by insisting the rest of the camp are dedicated to the cause.

"We always want the best for the supporters and to deliver trophies for them. But even when we are not, they are always behind the team and that is priceless," he said.

"All of us want to win trophies but sometimes that is not the case, and you cannot throw in the towel. It has been a long wait for the fans, 20 years without a league title, and I would just love to be here when and if it happens."

No comments: