Sunday, January 10, 2010

West Ham United's Matthew Upson On Liverpool Shortlist


Following the sale of Andrea Dossena to Napoli, combined with the injury to regular right-back Glen Johnson, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is expected to make an addition to his defensive ranks, and The Times claim that a deal for Matthew Upson could be made imminently.

West Ham United manager Gianfranco Zola, however, is keen to keep hold of his regular stars, so should Benitez stand firm on a transfer for Upson, he may have to pen a large cheque.

Zola recently told the Mirror: "I know I have good players in my team and it is normal that teams are looking for them. I am confident we can keep our best players.

"I don't think we have had enquiries so far. I haven't been told so. I am confident I can keep them here.

"I don't deal with these things (transfers). I am just dealing with the players we have and I try to make them happy to stay here."

Liverpool have also been linked with moves for Hammers stars Carlton Cole and Scott Parker.

No comments: