Monday, January 18, 2010

Playing At Atletico Madrid Was The Best Stage In My Career - Maxi Rodriguez


Former Atletico Madrid winger Maxi Rodriguez has spoken emotionally about his switch from the Vicente Calderon to English Premier League side Liverpool, saying that his time with Los Colchoneros was the most enjoyable period of his career.

The Argentine completed his move to Anfield last week and made his debut for Rafa Benitez’s side in the 1-1 draw with Stoke City on Saturday afternoon.

The 29-year old held back tears for the majority of the press conference in which he bid farewell to Spanish football, and was appreciative of how the Atletico Madrid had allowed him to develop.

Speaking frankly, Maxi said, “I would like to thank Enrique [Cerezo, club president] and the entire club. I find it difficult to speak, because I spent years here and it was very nice to spend the best years of my career where I felt at home.

“It was many years and I want to repeat that this club always treated me very well through good times and bad times.”

The former Espanyol star, who moved to the capital club in the summer of 2005, also spoke of his move to Merseyside, and added that it was a tough decision to move on.

He stated, “It was difficult, but I have always liked challenges. It is a new experience and I will probably spend my last years as a professional in Europe at Liverpool.

“Hopefully I can enjoy it to the fullest and give the same performance that I gave with Atletico Madrid.”

No comments: