Friday, January 22, 2010

Phillipp Degen Hopes Spurs Win Will Kick-Start Season

Philipp Degen believes last night’s win over Tottenham can act as the spur to kick start Liverpool’s season.

The Reds have struggled to build any momentum throughout a disappointing campaign but the Liverpool defender is confident the team can now claim a Champions League spot after moving to within a point of fourth placed Tottenham.

"It was a really important result for the team and everyone involved with the club," said Degen.

"The whole team showed great togetherness and we fought for the victory for the whole 90 minutes.

"We've had a difficult time recently, but I am really pleased after this win.

"Everyone is happy and we are now just one point off fourth place. We must now make this victory over one of our rivals count and make sure we get the three points at Wolves next week."

A succession of injuries since joining Liverpool from Borussia Dortmund 18 months ago have limited Degen’s involvement for the Anfield club.

Three starts in the last week however, suggest the Swiss international has overcome his problems.

With Dirk Kuyt spearheading the attack against Tottenham, Degen did well on the right of midfield in the 2-0 win.

He says there is plenty more to come from him and is ready to fight for a permanent starting place in Rafa Benitez’s team.

He said: “I didn't play for three months but now I've played three games in seven days and feel I have done okay.

“I have waited for a chance and I must now keep fighting and try to impress.

"I think I can improve a lot. I haven't had the best of luck with injuries during my time with Liverpool and I know there is still more to come from me.

“I have only played at around 60 per cent of my potential and hope I can show much, much more."

No comments: