Friday, January 22, 2010

Benitez Eyes Turning Point


Rafa Benitez hopes the victory over Tottenham will act as a springboard for Liverpool to go on a winning run.

The Reds have received fierce criticism for a disappointing sequence of results this season, while their cause has not been helped by injuries to key players such as Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Glen Johnson.

However, Liverpool have become more consistent in the Premier League over recent weeks and produced an impressive performance to prevail 2-0 against Spurs on Wednesday.

Benitez has been delighted with the attitude of his players and would like to be able to look back on Wednesday's match as a pivotal moment in their campaign.

"We showed the level of football we can play and that we are working," said the Spaniard.

"After one or two good performances people have more belief and confidence and hopefully we will play a little bit better.

"We have won the last three league games and drew against Stoke so it is not that bad a situation and we can carry on with this confidence and team spirit.

"If we can keep winning games in a row then I will say that the [Tottenham] result was a turning point.

"You have to believe, you have to think your players will do it. For me it is always a question of time; I had confidence we could win and now we keep going."

Right-back Philipp Degen, who has been a makeshift midfielder in the last two matches, caught the eye with an energetic performance against Tottenham.

The Switzerland international had his first season at Anfield ruined by injury and only now does he believe he is starting to feel at home.

"It was a sad year last year because I was injured but I kept my focus," said the 26-year-old.

"I have only played at around 60 per cent of my potential and hope I can show much, much more.

"I am a footballer with heart. I live for football and I always keep fighting.

"We have not played well this season and the pressure was a lot for the team but everyone has worked harder for success and you saw yesterday a team that fought for Liverpool.

"It is important to keep going and keep our heads up and show that we are ready to fight for fourth place, which is most important."

No comments: