Saturday, January 23, 2010

£20 Million Man Talks About Liverpool Move


Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani has revealed that he has found the move from Serie A to the Premier League a taxing ordeal but stressed that he is determined to start playing more regularly and at the level which earned him a £20 million move to Anfield.

Aquilani joined the Reds in the summer as a direct replacement for Xabi Alonso but spent much of the first half of the season trying to regain fitness and making cameo appearances from the substitute’s bench.

With Liverpool struggling for form and already knocked out of the Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup fingers have been pointed at Rafael Benitez and his decision to buy a player who has failed to perform.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror about the pressures of life on Merseyside, Aquilani stated:

"Ideally, I would have been able to start playing in a team that was winning matches.

"But instead, by the time I was fit, the team was going through a difficult period.

"That made the transition to English football a lot harder. As a foreign player, moving to a new country with different team-mates, it would have been easier for me if I was starting my Liverpool career in a winning team."

Liverpool eased some of the pressure on the beleaguered manager by beating Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 on Wednesday in a match which Aquilani started.

However, despite an improved showing the Italian international made clear that there was more to come.

"It hasn't been that way, so the pressure has been on me to produce performances straight away - when I have played though I know I can do a lot, lot better.

"At the moment I am still regaining my fitness after a long time away from football and it will take me time to get back to a level I am happy with - but I don't think I'm that far away," he said.

"The manager has explained to me in detail what he wants me to do for the team.

"When every player is fit, including me, I think it will bring the best out of me, and the fans will see the real player.

"I am happy at Liverpool and am already completely settled.

"It is clear it is a family club and I am grateful for the way I have been treated - and I now want to repay that kindness."

No comments: