Thursday, December 03, 2009

Steven Gerrard Admits Top-four Finish Is The Priority


Steven Gerrard has admitted Liverpool's chances of catching Barclays Premier League leaders Chelsea are slim and that Champions League qualification is now the target.

The Reds are in fifth place, 13 points behind Chelsea and two behind fourth-placed Arsenal having played a game more than the Gunners.

Speaking ahead of his 500th game in a Liverpool shirt, the 29-year-old midfielder told talkSPORT: 'I think we have to be realistic. At the moment we’re out of the title race, but we will keep trying to get back in it. There is still a lot of football to be played and it is possible to turn it around.

'I think Chelsea are looking really strong at the moment. But our main target is to get back in to the top four.

We’re coming off the back of a fantastic win at Everton and we want to continue that against Blackburn and try and go on a run of games where we can get closer to the teams above us.'

Saturday's trip to Ewood Park will mark Gerrard's milestone and he added: 'It means everything to me personally.

'I’m a local boy and my dream when I was young was always just to play one game for Liverpool. So to reach this milestone is a really proud moment for my family and myself.

'At around the time I made my debut my dad was always saying, "You’re really close to getting your chance," and I was just praying that the chance came along.

'At the time we had injuries to big players like Steve McManaman and Paul Ince and I managed to sneak on as a sub against Blackburn.

'I’ll be starting as captain this weekend 500 games later. I’ve had an amazing career so far and hopefully it will continue to go the same way.'

No comments: