Thursday, December 03, 2009

Fernando Torres Tells Manchester City: Forget Your £50m Bid


Fernando Torres has dashed Manchester City's hopes of luring him away from Anfield by admitting he already feels like a dyed-in-the-wool Scouser.

Liverpool's £21million record signing figures prominently on City's wanted list, with speculation mounting that a £50million bid could be imminent.

But the former Atletico Madrid striker, already a huge favourite among Liverpool supporters, insists his only aim is to ensure his name becomes woven into Anfield folklore with his scoring exploits over the next few years.

'I really feel at home here,' he said. 'From my first day as a Liverpool player, right up to today, I have always felt that Anfield is my home. I feel like I am from Liverpool.

'I would like to be part of Liverpool's history one day by winning trophies. I have plenty of years here, I'm sure of that, and I hope the trophies will come soon.

'The fans have seen some of the best players in the world playing for Liverpool, and now they sing my name.

'For me, it is amazing to score at Anfield and amazing to score in front of the Kop. When I hear people sing my name, it is the best feeling I can have on the pitch.

'But I have only been here two years, and I have not won any trophies yet. I have only scored some goals, but I hope, in a few years, I can write another book, explaining about the trophies I have won as a Liverpool player.

'The people here are very different from in Madrid. Over there, people don't have much respect for players, but, here, even Evertonians talk to me in a really good way. When I was at Atletico, the Real Madrid fans didn't like me, but Everton fans are really friendly with me. I must say, I was surprised by that.

'This is my home, and it helps that I have learned the language. Have I picked up any Scouse? Deffo! I am picking up words all the time, because there are a lot of Scousers at the club.

'It was difficult to begin with, but I can more or less understand them now. If my daughter grows up speaking English and Scouse, I will be proud.'

No comments: