Monday, December 28, 2009

Morgan Blames Moores For Anfield Chaos


David Moores has been accused of triggering the Anfield chaos by 'putting his own interests before the club'.

Wolves owner Steve Morgan, whose side faced the Merseysiders yesterday, laid the blame for the current turmoil on Liverpool's Life President for selling to the American owners.

Morgan's efforts to buy Liverpool for £100million were rebuffed in 2004 before then-chairman Moores sold to Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr.

And the resentment between the former rivals is still simmering.

Morgan blasted: "I've no wish to get involved in a slanging match with David Moores, but the fact is he wanted the best for David Moores and not for the club.

"He was entitled to do that but it's his decision which has led to the situation Liverpool are in now.

"What I find unfortunate is I saw what could happen and predicted it. That's all on record at the time. You can't have that level of debt and move a football club forward.

"My fear is if they miss out on the Champions League they'll be even more short of money.

"The best players like Fernando Torres will want to leave. And even Steven Gerrard, who has given everything for the club for the last 10 years, will be considering his future.

"It was an emotional day for me to go to Anfield yesterday, especially with my son as a mascot, but I'm 100 per cent committed to Wolves now."

One of Morgan's backers when he made his bid five years ago was Anfield's new managing director Christian Purslow.

The Scouse-born Molineux chief reckons Purslow offers the best hope of resolving the on-going ownership crisis. He said: "Christian and I have been friends for the last six years. I remember he spoke very well at an AGM and we met up afterwards.

"From a business point of view, they couldn't have found anyone better to try and sort out their problems. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for them, except when they're playing Wolves, of course."

No comments: