Monday, December 28, 2009

Alberto Aquilani Aiming For Italy Place In South Africa


Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani has revealed that he is still planning on being on the plane for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and hopes Italy coach Marcello Lippi has not forgotten about him.

"I never stopped thinking about the World Cup. I did so even when under the knife," the player who spent months on the sidelines, told Sky Sport 24.

"I have an excellent relationship with the Nazionale coach, but I know I've lost a lot of time. I'll try [to regain my place], because it would be really important for me."

The 25-year-old made his first Premier League start since joining the Reds from Roma this past summer, in a 2-0 victory over Wolverhampton.

"The team does not deserve it's current low standing. We've had difficulties, but we will come out of this," he continued.

"On my part, I am happy because I had been out so long. It's important to play, so I can get back to my best condition. I have a good relationship with [Rafa] Benitez and even my team-mates, champions like [Fernando] Torres and [Steven] Gerrard, who welcomed me and helped me merge into this group."

Aquilani has 11 caps and two goals for the Azzurri during his career.

No comments: