Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Yossi Benayoun Delighted With Rapid Recovery

Liverpool will seek a miracle cure for their Champions League campaign this evening – as Yossi Benayoun praised the radical doctor that has given him the chance of helping the Anfield cause.

Rafael Benitez’s side take on Hungarian champions Debrecen in the 69,000-capacity Ferenc Puskas Stadium with their European challenge on a knife edge.

Liverpool must beat the Group E whipping boys and pray Lyon do them a favour in Italy against Fiorentina.

While Glen Johnson is expected to be available after missing the weekend draw with Manchester City because of a calf problem, Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel and Albert Riera are all absent.

But Benayoun was among the party that flew to Budapest after a remarkable recovery from the hamstring tear he suffered against Birmingham City earlier this month.

The Israeli was expected to be sidelined for up to five weeks but was fit enough to score Liverpool’s equaliser as a substitute on Saturday after visiting radical therapist Mariana Kovacevic.

And the midfielder has revealed the Belgrade doctor - who also treated Johnson, Riera and Fabio Aurelio last week – used the placenta of a woman and not a horse to help cure his ailment.

“I have seen so many stories about the treatment on my hamstring, but, for me, there were never any worries,” said Benayoun. “There were no animal parts used and no injections.

“The doctor has treated a lot of players and seems to be held in very high regard.

“She explained everything to me beforehand and told me she would be using fluid from a placenta that had come from a woman.

“Nothing went into the muscle itself. It was just a case of massaging the liquid on to the skin around the affected area and letting it get to work.

“It meant I was able to play again and help the team within a fortnight of suffering the injury.

“When I felt the hamstring go, against Birmingham, and signalled to the bench that I couldn’t carry on, I never envisaged being back on the pitch so soon. I have to be happy with that, and it shows what can be done with this treatment.”

Benayoun will now compete with Aurelio for a starting role this evening as Liverpool aim to conjure another Champions League escape act.

“It was clear I was not ready to start against Manchester City, and it was unfortunate I had to go on so early, after those injuries to Daniel Agger and Ryan Babel,” said Benayoun, a 19th-minute substitute at the weekend.

“If I can play a part in Hungary, great. It is always a good feeling when your coach wants you in the team, and I desperately want to contribute anything I can to try and help us qualify from the group.

“But I can’t see myself playing the full 90 minutes. I don’t believe that is a realistic aim after missing so much training.

“Everyone in the squad knows my condition and how I’m still trying to get my fitness back, but I will do the best I can.

“This is an important phase for the team and, of course, the manager. We have had one or two disappointments since the start of the season, but he has proved his worth many times over the years, and I don’t believe he is about to leave.

“We just need a bit of luck, with injuries off the field and the bounce of the ball on it, and everything will change for us.”

No comments: