Saturday, November 07, 2009

Jamie Carragher Launches New Charity, The 23 Foundation

Reds star Jamie Carragher officially launched his new young people’s charity in Liverpool.

The Liverpool defender set up The 23 Foundation earlier this year to provide grants to young people on Merseyside.

The 23 Foundation, which takes its name from Carragher’s team shirt number, aims to give children a better chance in life.

The footballing star says he plans to give the proceeds from his Liverpool testimonial to the Foundation.

He said: “I was in Alder Hey as a child myself when I was first born and I hope The 23 Foundation can help children like people did for me when I was growing up.

“I’ve got my own kids and I don’t think there’s anything better than making a child happy.

“I was very fortunate to go to a good youth club and I’ve been very fortunate to be where I am playing for Liverpool.

“I’d like to think that maybe if I put something back, we’ll have someone else going on to play for Liverpool or Everton, or getting involved in other sports. There are a lot of youth clubs out there helping kids to keep fit and stay interested in sport.

“I want the charity to help those clubs buy equipment and keep kids off the streets.”

The LFC star invited friends to his Cafe Sports England restaurant yesterday to celebrate the start of the charity’s new website. The website will give fans the chance to find out more about the charity and bid for signed Liverpool FC memorabilia.

The 31-year-old footballer, who is from Bootle, said: “Hopefully we will try to raise £100,000 each year for the Foundation.

“We have set up the website so people can bid for things like signed pictures, which I will dedicate to them.

“This is my 14th season with Liverpool and a testimonial has been mentioned. I would like to look into arranging a testimonial game and everything would go to the charity.”

1 comment:

web design liverpool said...

The 23 foundation site is live and you can make donations online and buy personalised photpgraphs