Saturday, November 07, 2009

I Will Never Regret Joining Liverpool

Xabi Alonso will never regret joining Liverpool in 2004, despite having the option to join his current club Real Madrid.

The Spanish international was coveted by the La Liga giants prior to leaving Real Sociedad, but chose to join the Premier League side instead.

The midfielder has great memories of his time at Anfield, and admits the fans will always hold a special place in his heart.

Alonso told Sport Magazine: “There was an opportunity for me to join Real Madrid, but it never got serious before I chose Liverpool.”

“I will never regret joining Liverpool because I learned a lot and developed as a footballer and experienced another country, a different lifestyle and a different league.”

“I have also matured, and have a stronger belief in my qualities.”

“I know what I can do and I don’t let anything from outside remove my focus, like earlier in my career.”

Alonso suggested he loved living in England and embraced the Scouse culture like it were his own.

He continued: “I actually like the British culture. I don’t appreciate the cooking very much, but a lot of other aspects are great.”

“The British are very kind people and they respect you for you’ve achieved. I also like their humour and the whole culture surrounding football – so many fans go to away games, which is not something you see very often in Spanish football.”

“And the Liverpool fans are amazing.”

“When you enter Anfield and they sing You’ll Never Walk Alone, you get something that you will take with you for the rest of your life.”

No comments: