Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pepe Reina Admits His Eyes Were On Beach Ball During Sunderland Loss


Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has admitted he was focused on the inflatable beach ball during Saturday's loss to Sunderland having lost sight of the real match ball.

Darren Bent's winning goal, which deflected off a ball thrown onto the pitch by a fan, was allowed to stand by referee Mike Jones which meant Liverpool slumped to their third consecutive loss and fourth of the season.

Despite understanding the Premier League's decision not to replay the match, Reina said Jones had made a "serious mistake" as it is ultimately the match official's job to know the rules of the game inside out.

"It was such bad luck. I lost sight of the official ball and stayed on the red one," Reina told a Spanish radio station. "When he shot, it startled me and I went for the red ball instinctively as it was the closest to me and the other went past me. It all happened very quickly.

"This had never happened before in my life. I didn't know what to do. A lot of things were going through my head but I honestly thought that the goal would stand and no one was going to disallow it.

"We didn't know the rule because otherwise we would have protested. But that's what makes the mistake of the ref even more grave. We didn't know it because it's not our job.

"I agree the game should not be replayed, but it must be recognised that the error is serious."

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez concurred with his goalkeeper's view and said the club would not be petitioning the FA for a replay.

"The rules are very clear and a lot of people are saying the game should be replayed, but we will not be asking for this," he said.

No comments: