Monday, October 26, 2009

Mascherano In Rafa Bash

Javier Mascherano has further rocked the listing Anfield boat this morning by snubbing a new contract.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, already on the ropes after four straight defeats, has always believed the Argentine midfielder would join his golden list of long-term stars.

Skipper Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger and Yossi Benayoun were all secured on bumper summer deals. Mascherano, 25, is strongly linked with Barcelona. And that is a real worry for Benitez, as he hoped that his South American playmaker would be another one to commit his long-term future to the Anfield cause.

But Mascherano has no wish to join the elite list, a huge blow to Benitez hours before facing Man United today.

Benitez is willing to shower Mascherano with riches in line with Liverpool’s other superstars. Mascherano, currently on around £60,000 a week, will be guaranteed a £30,000-a-week increase if he signs a new deal.

But Mascherano says the cash is of no interest to him, leaving Benitez and the fans deeply concerned that the Argentinian could be the next big name exiting Anfield, following Xabi Alonso’s departure to Real Madrid.

Asked about possible talks over a new deal, Mascherano said: “I have never asked for a new contract.

“I already have a contract with Liverpool. I don’t play football for the money. I play for me to win. Obviously I will not play for free. But at this moment the money is not the most important thing for me. I have talked with Rafa over the summer but nothing has happened.

“I’m here. I play for Liverpool and I will try to give my best.

“I am a professional and I have to think about Liverpool.” Mascherano’s stance casts further doubts over his future at Anfield but he is still keen to silence talk about a move to Barcelona.

He added: “I don’t want to talk any more about Barcelona. I try to give my best to Liverpool.

“Sometimes you have good form. Sometimes you are not in good form. But I will continue working to do my best.

“I am very relaxed about my situation because I know I go to training every day and give my best for the club.”

No comments: