Monday, October 26, 2009

Barcelona Will Return For Liverpool Midfielder Javier Mascherano In 2010


Barcelona will re-ignite their interest in Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano this summer, as speculation over the Argentine’s future continues to grow.

The Blaugrana were heavily linked with Mascherano during the close season, and it is reported that preliminary talks began over a possible move to the Camp Nou.

The Albicelestes international remained at Anfield but as of yet no contract extension has been offered to the 25-year old.

Sky Sports reports that Mascherano has previously stated his desire to join Argentina colleague Lionel Messi in Spain, but that his comments may have been to ensure an improved contract with Liverpool.

The defensive midfielder recently refuted the claims, with the News of the World reporting that he said, “I have never asked for a new contract, I already have a contract with Liverpool, and I do not play for the money.

“I play for me and to win things, obviously I will not play for free but why should I?”

Rafa Benitez is keen to tie Mascherano to the club on a long-term deal, but with Liverpool reportedly ready to offload some of their first-team squad to raise funds for new additions, a bid from the Spanish giants may be too good to refuse.

No comments: