Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Charles Itandje Still Bitter Over Liverpool Exit As Keeper Claims Club Used Hillsborough Anniversary Incident To Force Him Out


Charles Itandje still believes he didn't do too much wrong during the ceremony to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough.

The disgraced French goalkeeper was shown laughing during the service at Anfield and was fined and suspended before being sent on loan to Greek outfit Kavala.

But the 26-year-old, who apologised at the time, insists the incident in April was used to push him out of Liverpool.

He said: 'The last season at Liverpool was very difficult. Watching the other players every Saturday on the pitch when I was in front of the television at home was not easy.

'The story of the stupid laugh was a pretext to bring my situation to a head. It was over-exaggerated.

'The problem was that I did not appreciate the importance of the ceremony. And looking at the pictures, I don't feel I did a huge thing. I never wanted to offend anyone.

'It was clumsy and inappropriate, but I was disappointed that the club did not support me. Two days later, it was chaos. The supporters wanted to kill me. The club told me: "Don't go out in the street, you will be attacked".

'I really needed to leave England. I even got eczema on my hands because I was so stressed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.